Last night I went to a 3 1/2 hour training!! It was sooo long. It's one of those required ones about transracial/transcultural adoption. There were a few interesting points. Some of the exercises were eye-opening. We had to take note of the different races we come into contact with every day and then see if any of them are the same as our adopted child will be. It did remind me that I'm going to have to make an effort to remember that her culture has been stripped from her.
There was one quote that stuck with me "The shell that she's living in, isn't the same as her upbringing." In order words just because she's black doesn't mean that she'll fit into those stereotypes. She'll grow up as a white middle class as her upbringing.
There were a few adoptee adults there. It was interesting to hear their perspectives. It was stressed that I should be sure to have a black doll for her to play with. I had already thought about this, but hearing it again just confirms that I need to go shopping! :)
Now I'm busy working on finishing up my readings so that the homestudy can be completed. I'm hopeful that it will happen sometime this week. I'm anxious to get fingerprinted and send the I-600A off to USCIS for approval.
No comments:
Post a Comment